Anniversary of Royal visit to Sloan's House
On 24th May 2016 His Majesty the King - then the Prince of Wales - visited the birthplace of Orangeism in County Armagh.
During his tour of the Museum of Orange Heritage at Sloan’s House, Loughgall, he entered the original parlour where the first warrants were signed in 1795, marking the formation of the Orange Institution.
As well as learning more about the early development of Orangeism, the Royal visitor was shown key artefacts from the period of the Glorious Revolution. These included a pair of King William III’s riding gauntlets and a letter penned by the Sovereign prior to his arrival in Ireland in 1690.
He also viewed the adjoining memorial garden, which remembers members of the Institution from Co Armagh who were killed during the Troubles before planting an apple tree in the garden of remembrance.
His Majesty was welcomed to Loughgall by the Grand Master Edward Stevenson, and Armagh County Grand Master, Denis Watson.