Points for Prayer 5 For repentance and confession of sins
Updated: May 25, 2020
For a realisation of our nation’s backsliding from You: God of nations, by Your Sovereign grace You have graciously blest our nation over many centuries. Yet we have taken Your blessing for granted and have been unthankful. Searcher of every heart show us wherein we have departed from Your ways.
For an honest confession of sins: Your word declares that righteousness exalts a nation yet socially, morally and religiously we acknowledge our nation has turned from You in so many ways. Unrighteous laws have been enacted. Your Name is constantly blasphemed. We confess we have made prosperity our god for we have trusted in, and looked for, satisfaction in the material instead of in You.
For a return to God: Lord, You have declared that the nation whose God is the Lord is a blessed nation indeed. May our nation return to You Lord, for You alone are the answer to our shocking moral downward spiral. Lord, we deserve your anger to burn against us. But your character is Love and You delight to pour out mercy, instead of wrath. God have mercy on our nation and forgive us. We ask that the fear of God which has been lost would be restored in our nation.
Suggested Scripture verses -
2 Chronicles 7:13-14, “If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people.
14. If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Daniel 9:4-9; “And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;
5. We have sinned, and have committed iniquity, and have done wickedly, and have rebelled, even by departing from thy precepts and from thy judgments:
6. Neither have we hearkened unto thy servants the prophets, which spake in thy name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land.
7. O Lord, righteousness belongeth unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee.
8. O Lord, to us belongeth confusion of face, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against thee.
9. To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him."
Luke 12:15. “And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.”